> > What has Detroit done to burn itself out with the
> European music industry?

     I was thinking of something similar to this the
other day. What has brought Detroit to the spotlight
every time was inguinity-the breaking of new ground.
Such as with the assembly line (yes, yes we know the
big three aren't saints) and then Motown (which
eventually left and apparently treated many artists
like sh*t), and on down the line with jazz, Ted
Nuggent (*cough,laugh*)and electronic music.

    I personally don't think when you are in Detroit
you have alot of options-as everything is so viciously
connected, and the politics and lack of funding and
enthusiam seems to be killing the city softly. What
was done to hype Taj Bell's album? nada from what I
saw. I got a chance to hear it finally and it was sick
deep in that KDJ way.

 My first thought when I saw the panel for DEMF was
'yeah but how often do these people actually play in
Detroit? And how often do they actually draw?' The
younger talent doesn't have the funding to get
themselves off the ground. Plus, they have the shadow
of those from the past to struggle with. The older
waves have their careers and family and really don't
seeeeem to be interested in the younger talent. Planet
E and Transmat have produced other, younger talent-but
what has been done to keep the ball rolling? record.
tour. ok...? Enter funding again and the difference
between major and small labels. It runs deep and
involves alot of need for some propaine for the torch
that needs to be lit again in people's creative minds
and under their asses. Yet, when there's a lack of
motivation you can't blame.

 People need to stop focusing on other people's
business and drama and more on the music and what they
are going to do to bring back the city to a powerhouse
point again. I think it be more useful to stop looking
at some negative comments as ego smashes but rather as
opportunities to say 'ok, is it true? can it be turned
around to make things better?' Instead it just turns
to drama and drawing sides.

  Nights like Family Funktion at Alvins and the Hotbox
Loft parties are what always renewed my faith and made
me once so passionate...what happened to this...to
them? Years later after I've learned about politics,
had problems with authority and learned the priceless
lesson of trusting few with my honest opinion, I have
no problem with officially being called "jaded".

> > Why aren't there more good, intelligent people
> working at labels in Detroit?

 for the sake of brevity I'll leave this alone.;)