Robin said
"
        i used to think that too but people like norman cook  (fat boy slim) and
        the chemical brothers are hugely popular over here (UK) and over there
        too and a lot of their records don't have vocals as such on them.

        does this mean that people have 'got over' the need for a vocal to latch
        the minds on? i don't really have an answer.
"

There was a TV program that explored this issue. It argued that in the
information age
we are exposed to more and more tonal frequencies and that these tones alone
are able to rouse certain emotions. The need for vocals is reduced as
soundscape artists
seek to move us emotionly by tones in ever more complex ways. Interesting
area...
something that techno has always understood. Waveform transmitions...