The problem is obvious.

How many people who revere the early Model 500 tracks in retrospect
would have even given them a moment's notice in 1987?  No, they were
self-released by a young guy from a no-name Detroit suburb, a bunch
of things ranting on and on about UFOs and stuff over clattery noise
box sounds.  I mean, let's be real, you can just imagine the disdain
*even if they heard those tracks then to begin with.*  Which they
didn't outside of urban Detroit and Chicago.  We certainly didn't
hear any of this on the west coast unless it was a pure fluke
until years later.

Fast forward to 1992, 1997, 2002.  How many people actually *listen*
to what Juan Atkins (or name your producer) has put out, before making
their judgment?  See?  That hasn't changed at all.  The only thing
that's changed is that now there are cover photos and hype stories in the
slick magazines to do our thinking for us.  (More than average
appreciation at this moment to the people who *do* write honestly,
like BMG, Tamara Palmer, Tom Magic Feet, John O and the gang over
at XLR8R.)

It's not like I am wildly enthusiastic about everything he's done.
I left off a few I don't care for in my list.  But I'll stack Juan's
discography, all of it, against anyone else in electronic music --
even Paul Oakenfold -- and he'll come out very well indeed.

But I've made my point on this matter and will shut up now.