Interesting topic! I think that sampling has never really been a very
central technique in producing techno music - I've always detected a
mentality of "you use your synths, computers etc to generate your own noises
or, if you do use samples, you warp them and 'play' them in such a way as to
make the source hard to detect", and am hard pressed to think of many techno
tracks that are massively sample-based (Fix-Flash comes to mind though).

Personally, I've never been a big fan of sample-heavy music (apart from
people like Moodymann and co, where the samples are 'played', as JT
commented), and would generally point to genres like "trip-hop", "big beat",
"nu skool breaks" as being more sample-centric than techno. Sampling is as
important to those genres as ever, imo, and is at the same level of
importance in techno as it always was, I think.

Techno producers just like having arcane machines in their studios on whose
panels they can twiddle knobs and produce piercing, Drexciyan sorts of
sounds... or at least that's the way I've always seen it!

If there's a new trend in terms of instrumentation, though, I'd say that its
main theme is the fact that you can nowadays get these nice analog sounds
into your productions without spending $$$ on ARP Odysseys and Fairlights,
using software synthesis. Another new trend specifically related to sampling
is in the form of newer genres like "plunderphilia", where sampling is taken
to its logical extreme.

The "real instruments to make real music" argument is one I really don't
agree with, but I'm more used to this coming from people for whom analogue
synths, let alone samples, aren't real instruments - an attitude whereby
samplers aren't seen as "real instruments", but analogue synths *are*, is
inherently wrong from my point of view. As a staunch electronic music
fanatic, I can't personally draw the line when it comes to what's a real
instrument and what isn't, and I don't really approve of anyone who'd try to
make such a distinction...

Brendan

Legal Disclaimer

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
this e-mail from your system.
mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message that
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required
please request a hard-copy version.  This message is provided for
informational purposes only.
our website at: http://www.widelearning.com

Wide Learning is a trading name of Wide Multimedia Ltd Registered office:
33-41 Dallington Street, London EC1V 0BB
Company number: 3339664 VAT number: 690 8399 83