There's obviously a lot of lazy records around that do rely on sampling an
entire hook. And there's also some really inspired sampling that isn't
obvious at all

THE best song i've ever heard that uses sampling is on tigerbeat 6 records. I can't remember who did the track (it possibly was kid606, but not positive at all), but it uses the opening of the movie flash gordon. BRILLIANT mix. If you can find it, i thoroughly suggest listening to it. Kicks my ass everytime i hear it.