i don't understand why all the new-school electro-pop gets so much criticism
but so much new-school jazz/house/breaks, broken-beat-type stuff passes the
"quality" test. i know it all comes down to individual tastes, but it just
leaves me thinking. are we really so ashamed of electronic music's history
that we can't perceive that early'-80s past as worth revisiting? are we so
enamored of traditional "musicality" that the same reheated funk, soul and
jazz textures can be palatable again and again, with just a light digital
sheen added to each new round?

i think that, as with the as one/2000 black/etc. nu-jazz school, a lot of
great songs have come out of the latest round of electro-inspired pop. just
because it's catchy and just because the face decides to jump on the
bandwagon doesn't mean the music itself sucks. yes, yes, the whole fact that
new york is getting all the attention when electro never really died in
detroit leaves a bit of a bad taste in our collective mouth. but this whole
concept that the past can never be revisited in a new way, or that only
certain strains of music from the past are quality enough to revisit, is
just rubbish. i had a lot more fun at the le tigre/chicks on speed show last
weekend in san francisco than i've had at a straigh-up DJ event in quite a
while. fun is not the enemy!

the felix da housecat record is about as straight-up retro as you can get -
he lifts whole riffs and hooks from bobby o and vanity 6! but it's as
personal and quirky as any of his album projects, full of analogue
melancholy and killer beats. is it somehowe more palatable just because he's
from chicago and he's paid his purist house (maddkatt courtship, etc.) and
techno (aphrohead) dues?

brian