> outside forces
> ?

there are a lot of kids who think Orgy wrote the song "Blue Monday", and
while some might say - so what, music will speak for itself- this sort of
misrepresentation to new audiences affects the growth potential of musical
genres. this is a bit of an extreme example, and complicated because it
enters the realm of mainstream pop. I consider Orgy outside the realm
of electro/new wave, but they are a widespread representation of such
music to a lot of kids.

perhaps "outside forces" is a poor choice of words- because unless
you are a huge corporation- all the forces that determine your audience
are going to be external, people cannot govern how others will react to
their music- but its easier to keep the spirit of something alive when
there are not people bastardizing it and deciding to capitalize on it for
the sake of money, fame, kitsch, whatever.

ps- as you may notice- i'm not very wordly- my world consists of usa and
sometimes canada- hope my references and viewpoints  are
understood/applicable elsewhere as well :)