> My question is - did electro really ever die?
> and my impression was, and i only remember this
> because i was a teen in the '80's, that electro had
> come before techno (proper) and laid the foundation
> for techno - am i wrong about this?

not so much a death- i think it just got overshadowed by its two
followers- hip hop and techno.

> I for one think it's about time electro got the respect
> it's been long overdue (or have i missed something?)

respect is different than popularity. popularity is a mixed blessing in
that it does get more people respecting great music, but it also
usually ends up generating a lot of crap. maybe it's still a good thing
overall, i know there are differing viewpoints- i usually resort to
cynicism :)

-p