I noticed that all of the bands you listed as timeless are detroit. i
really dig all of them, but there are also some great electro-clash bands
like Crossover who are equally as musical and relevant (not fashionable)

this is just a theory, but perhaps these NYC groups are unfairly called
'trendy' because the rally around them, while in detroit, stuff is
'great' because ppl ignore them.