yeah but watching Richie is like watching paint dry, no offence but I
have never seen him work it like Mills does. Few have seen him smile as well
:)

-----Original Message-----
From: T.J.Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 November 2002 14:14
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) 100 BEST DJ IN THE WORLD (Mills)

This is true, Toby.  But, I must say that if Mills
didn't enjoy being watched, he could very well conceal
himself like Hawtin does at his plastic parties.  So
this leads me to personally believe that Mills enjoys
the attention of people wtching his skills...

"Toby Frith" wrote:

> This is somewhat of a double-edged sword I think. In
> one respect, people go
> to see a DJ like Mills so they can dance. In the other
> respect, they go to
> watch his craft, which then takes the DJ out of his
> normal context and into
> that of an artist, because you are viewing him/her
> rather than interacting.
> (another argument which I'm not going to pontificate
on
> here)  So you get
> one half of the audience dancing and the other just
> watching. This has been,
> IMHO, the downfall of techno turntablism and the like
> in recent years. Too
> much watching, not enough dancing.
>
> I went to see Mills in Zurich a year ago and there was
> far too much of the
> latter going on. You could see him actually looking
> rather annoyed as one
> absolute classic after another (Final Frontier,
> Magnese) was being dropped
> only to see a leaden-footed and mute reaction from the
> crowd. How must a DJ
> feel when they are faced by banks of motionless people
> looking at them spin
> some records?

deep
> house as sleep
> house.
> >
> > All this reminds me of a recent interview Chuck D
> gave here when he
> lamented
> > that today's pop producers and recording artists
> leave out the mistakes in
> > record when mistakes make a record real and give it
> soul..... He leaves
> them
> > in. So does Mills.
> >

> > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: RE: (313) 100 BEST DJ IN THE WORLD
(Mills)
> > > Date: 02/11/2002 21:44:50
> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > CC: 313@hyperreal.org, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Pryor, Ryan
N")

> > > live at the liquid room is laden with errors. it
is
> a classic set. but
> it
> > > has at least 5 big mistakes. for a recorded mix
> that is a lot. mills is
> > > sloppy dj. but he can get away with it because of
> his record selection.
> > >
> > > He can get away with it because he's so damn
quick.
> When a DJ works the
> > > decks & mixer as much and as quickly as Mills does
> then there's bound to
> be
> > > some mistakes.

 TJJ

~in a perfect world, nothing is perfect~

---