While I respect your opinion and understand that your comments are made in the context of this discussion (and also that dance music is ostensibly made for dancing), I have to say that I find the notion that someone gets to say how *I* need to react to something else in the sense that I can be marginalized when I don't is reductionistic and at least as problematic as a person who doesn't respond in the way dictated by whomever. I don't dance and I doubt I ever will; perhaps it's childhood trauma or an ill formed sense of self - whatever. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the music nor does it mean I have to be saddled with restructuring a performative context or bumming out a DJ. It would seem like the fact that I haven't left the venue should say something. In an age where all kinds of criticism (literary, etc.) has freed art from static notions tied with the artist, I find it interesting that the monolithic notion of "must-dancing" still rules. I do understand the need for it and I understand how it creates a necessary symbiosis - but why does *everyone* need to be dancing in order for them to enjoy and appreciate something? We aren't all dancers, we aren't all as comfortable with dancing as each other. As a qualifier, I am not saying that any behavior or reaction to art is equally appropriate, nor am I saying there is no tie between art and artist. I just find it a bit tyrannical and quixotic to dictate behavior to a set. Again, my comments are not directed to this particular post (as I can see the connection you are making vis a vis the trend), but rather towards the notion that seems to underlie it : if I don't dance, I am unappreciative and some kind of pariah. If it's really about the music OR the mix, then I should be left to appreciate it in a way which is genuine to myself and doesn't shipwreck someone else's enjoyment. .02.

                                                                jeff