Yeah I really like venues like the venue & studio 24 in edinburgh - dark
and dingy - it means that most of the people are there to listen to the
music rather than be seen so you can avoid the trendy poseur set. And
while the PA in both these venues is nothing special its normally loud
enough to do the business.
I wouldn't go to a club with a dress code as a point of principle (even
if I fitted in with the code)