For (I think) pretty obvious reasons, most of the best venues tend to be
overun with a clientelle that makes them less desirable to go to. But, if
we're just talking about the space itself, these are 4 of my favorites (3
big, one small):

The Limelight in NYC: I love the maze-like effect as you wander through the
back, and the main dancefloor is magnificent. It's just a beautiful space.
Sound there can be iffy at times, but generally I enjoy it.

Nation (former home of Buzz) in DC: The venue is so sick. The clientelle and
the music was often lacking. The front room, where they normally play drum
'n bass, has bars on either end with a circular DJ booth in the middle,
which works so well for drum 'n bass. I often took refuge here when the main
room was a dissapointment. The outdoor deck would usually feature house, or
something less mainstream (in DC anyway) than progtrance/dnb. I loved to
spend time out there in the Summer, especially when I first arrived in DC,
with the view of the capitol building, a good dancefloor vibe and amazing
weather. You have to love listening to house outdoors at night. The main
room is really impressive. I always thought the sound with a bit too
ecstacy-tweaked-crisp for me, and there were very few DJs I wanted to see in
there, and those I did want to see often dissapointed. Also, when the floor
is packed with drooling kids every weekend, you tend to find a different
space. But, it's impressive for the good design, and with a slightly
different EQing it would sound great in there.

The End in London: This sound system is so sick. I know some people who
don't like it but I think it depends who you see spinning on it, b/c they
have separate PA settings for all the regular performers. I like the setup
of the entire club. Clearly there are sometimes issues with the crowds
there, but the space itself rocks, purely because of the focus on the DJ and
the sound quality.

The Blue Room in DC: Pure class. It's small, lots of wood every where. Free
entry. Great selection of beer and some good food. Nice outdoor deck. Both
floors are smooshed full of people whenever they're open and eveyone is
always having a great time. The sound downstairs sucks. The sound upstairs
is too loud for the space. None of it matters because the people, the beauty
of the space, the beverages and the music always make it a great experience.
I would go there on my own a lot this Summer and wound up meeting tons of
people every time I went because I knew whoever I met at the Blue Room would
be cool. It's the right spot in the right part of DC, with the right music
to attract the best people.

You wouldn't think it to look at the first three, but I much prefer small
clubs.

Tristan
=====
Text/Mixes: http://phonopsia.tripod.com
Music: http://www.mp313.com
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

New Mix in mp3, 'Live in Iowa City' available for
a short time from http://phonopsia.isoprax.com