I probably should have been more specific, Cyclone -- I was referring
to your apparently favorable comment -- "some interesting points" --
but it's really the comments you quoted from the other email I was
disagreeing with.

I'm a pretty strong defender of 313 because it has kept going for
years and years while all the other lists I joined way back when ended
up sinking into a foul pit of flames and idiocy.

It was almost exactly ten years ago this month that the legendary
"go away Moby" thread was starting up on ne-raves; a couple years later,
ne-raves lost its really unique camaraderie and became a toxic swamp
of screeching about how hardcore was by far the best form of music ever
made, or something.  dc-raves, socal-raves, nw-raves, mw-raves, even my
beloved sfraves -- all were sunk by the tragedy of write-only loudmouths.

Some managed to recover and continue in reasonable fashion, but the
people I knew from those lists long since disappeared, like leaving a
favorite corner pub because the bar fights went from occasional
distraction to ongoing nuisance.

Among the public "*ave" lists I joined way back when, the honorable
survivors are 313 and uk-dance.

As for doing a searchable index of the 313 archives, Hyperreal is a
volunteer-run system and would welcome someone coming along to hook
up a bit of this and a bit of that and do it.  As we always say,
it's an  SMOP  -- simple matter of programming.

phred