Well... it's interesting that we've had a couple of positive reports
about Stacey Pullen elsewhere in the country. Makes me wonder if
he didn't have a different crate of records for the Perth leg of the
tour. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Be warned, my opinions
expressed below may annoy you.

Anyway, so a couple of days ago is the Stacey Pullen gig for
Perth, and boy am I looking forward to it. We finally get to hear
some proper music, some music from detroit and some actual
deepness as well, after being played down to by certain other dj's
visiting our shores lately. I got there in time to hear one of my
favourite local dj's, martin L, who played an absolutely creamer of a
set, starting off with a nice housey record with flutes and lush
sounds, working his way through some blue 6, and up to the
deeper sounds of detroit. Yeah, I get to hear Infiniti's 'Game One', a
Frictional record, plus a couple of more pumping house records like
'open door' by losoul. An excellent set, and a great setup for Mr
Pullen.

He starts off with this crazy drumroll thing, not unlike that off the
new planet e fransisco mora jazz cd, just totally organic jazz
drumming. It was at this point I was so happy, finally a gig in which
real music gets played, not just hours of disco loops. Finally an
international dj will play good music, perhaps even some music
from detroit. I own a few Pullen tracks and love them.

Well that good feeling was shortlived, as Pullen kicked into
admittedly a cool track, westworld by chia pet, and then into red
alert. Basically the rest of his four hour set represented low quality
tunes, absolutely no deepness at all, and I wonder whether even
one tune he played represented detroit at all. It was just the same
old same old, uninteresting loops and just 'pumping' music. He
played get get down, and that was about as deep as it got. Anyone
off the street could have played that set, there was none of that
detroit vibe that I love so much. It was uninspiring and way below
what I would have expected.

Basically I think he played this cheese because of one of two
possible reasons. Either the promotor of this gig told him to pump
it up, or perhaps he thought he should because he figured that
Perth couldn't handle any deepness, or that he just doesn't know
any better. Either way I'm not impressed. Can anyone tell me there
hasn't been a fantastic array of music to come from detroit and
elsewhere in the last however long, tunes like knights of the jaguar,
art of vengeance, or if you want house, stuff from theo parrish,
moodymann, or rick wade. And that's just from detroit. What about
the rest of the world? Surely there's enough on offer to be able to
still play a set with energy, but without having to turn to red alert
and get get down? Basically at this gig the local dj's far outshone
the hired help. I know many people at this gig, myself included,
came away dissappointed by what was on offer. In fact the only
way you would have liked that set is if you were totally high on
drugs, because it wasn't aimed at the mind.

Alton Miller is coming to Perth soon, and if I don't hear some deep
house, if I don't hear some tunes which reach the absolutely high
quality calibre of the tunes he puts out, in other words if I hear
more basement jaxx and get get down, I'm giving up. If anyone can
get in contact with him, please let him know that we're crying out
for some deepness over here and we won't settle for less.

Dave
PS - All in my opinion of course...