Regarding technology (no matter the level of intricacy), here's what my trumpet professor told me about musicianship. After listening to me labor painfully through a difficult passage in a piece of music, he would stop me (probably for the sake of his sensitive ears) and make me aware of the trumpet. While holding it up, turning it, and knocking on the bell, the man explained to me that the trumpet is merely a thing of brass, incapable of producing music without assistance (in this case, the air of a human's pursed and buzzing lips). The music is in your head, he stated, pointing to his noggin. If you can't hear it, and performed flawlessly, in your own mind, than you can't expect it to come out of the instrument.

Maybe this will offer some much needed elucidation.

       Rusty