Both, I reckon. The leap of imagination that was "Acid Trax" back in the day
is much easier for people to achieve now. Some would say that elevating
recording technology cheapens that sort of imagination, but it actually
doesn't - it just raises the stakes. Easier to express imagination at a more
basic or easy level, but harder to produce something so imaginative it
stands out from the burgeoning crowd of Pierre-clones...

| B.  If both....how then does one gage or distinguish true
| musicianship and talent from creativity/imagination/
| uniqueness in composition??

"Musicianship" is a bit of an odd term; a lot of the music discussed on this
list isn't the product of "musicianship" as such, more the
creativity/imagination/uniqueness you mention. People who are skilled at
musicianship will be as easy to spot as always, but (and I might be being a
bit heretical here) the role of the pure musician (ie, no composing, just
playing) will continue to become more like that of the calligrapher today.

On the other hand, new forms of musicianship come with new instruments.
Turntablists, for example, or the way some producers can rock a 303 live on
stage while others can't. Bernie Worrell and Marvin Gaye's synth playing,
working on the sound at the same time as on the melody. I can imagine some
amazing futuristic instruments which could usher in a new age for
musicianship...

But you're right, boring people will continue to make boring music, weird
people will go on making weird stuff, and so on... the cycle of life
continues... and no old technology ever gets uninvented (apart from Body
Rap...).

Brendan