> A.  Will ever-elevating recording technology equally elevate imagination
or
> have the opposite effect...or both??
time is the ultimate deciding factor...i'm sure when groups like tangerine
dream started using these machines it sounded like degeneration, but then
again you have a resurgence of this ambient style in the early 90's which
sounds like a degeneration from what they produced...what we see so far is
that the production values have increased, but the content lacks
originality...it takes a long time to develop your talent at making your
music sound like it does in your head...and it's going to get harder because
it takes a great deal more knowledge to know what your'e dealing with inside
all this new technology...at some point though...a wunderkind will
emerge...then everyone will imitate that for a while...

> B.  If both....how then does one gage or distinguish true musicianship and
> talent from creativity/imagination/uniqueness in composition??
it's rare that you have all of these qualities rolled up into one...i mean
no one like jimi has come around in a long time...prince is a good guitar
player, but he's no hendrix...but some of his early compositions are very
unique though...anyway, i just hope that people are still looking for any of
these qualities over time as opposed to how it looks like it's going....that
is image and sales is all that matters....

until the machine starts operating on it's own the man is still the most
important...i think the lack of creativity is a product of our
society...we're over saturated...we've burned our selves out...

simply