Sorry i have skipped a bit of the conversation , you all talk too much !

Whats sure is that in the 90s or early 2ks' Hawtin was showing skills on 3 decks, was playing the 909 even better than Mills IMO and he rocked eveywhere he's been. And he got a solid tracklisting full of tribal mixed with old school to keep the vibe alive.

Then he turned minimal. Technology improved his last DE9 CDs : with Closer to the edit and Transitions, he used technology to create something new an orginal, with a strong artistic concept.

But at the same time, he tried to overuse technology in his gigs, which turned to an approximate beatmatching and constantly filtered 2 decks DJ sets. Worse, his tracklisting has turned into some no sense minimal thing. IMO Vath coming from 'hard' techno in 2k1 / 2k2 got into the minmal trend with a so much better selection, and still with a 'story' toldin each of his Dj set.

Thats it, with technology Hawtin did CDs better like no one else - unless you like the music played in them. But at the same time he's gone from the party highlight DJ to some regular boring minimal DJ, musically talking.

Seems his name still entertains the crowd though.

Benoît.

Nik Stoltzman a écrit :
I agree, I like Richie Hawtin sets that are a bit less-extravagent with the
gear (ie the
mid-1990's).  For me, it's almost like he is concentrating on the technology
more than the crowd
connection.  His sets were a bit more human, with a lot more fire back in the
day.

The Mixmag Live CD they mention in that article is still one of my all-time
favourite mixes...

But everything was better back in the day, innit?