On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 7:09 AM, duf duf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Kevin Kennedy wrote:
>

> > ...and sadly today most of it is just electronic crap.
> >

>  This has been the a mantra for over 15 years though .. dance
>  music is can always completely mundane in the micro.

The period between 1993-96 saw an explosion in this music...especially
this style...there were actual classics being created during this
period-see DBX's 'losing control,' Shake's 'floorfiller,' and most of
Rob Hoods output during that period.  Heck, even my music from that
time still finds the floor in some DJ's hands...

>  What are we really looking for?  What is going to make techno
>  happy?  What is the electronic holy grail?

  What would make me happy is a bit of funk coming back into the
sound...or at least the acknowledgement of the groove.  The electronic
holy grail is really whatever you want-for me it's to have the music I
love not all sound like it's coming out of the same three boxes from
four people.

>  Dub/reggea has resolved some of this with its 'version' system
>  where all producers, MC's and Dj's have a crack at stylising or
>  interpreting a tune at the same time.

Sadly, dub/reggae had it's classic period from 1976-82, and I will not
say it's dead.

   However, the 'version' system you speak of (which of course works
for dub since it's basic source material is usually vocal reggae) is
the 'remix' system in electronic music...

>  There is this acceptance that the music is a vehicle for personal
>  expression, communication, interaction. So the focus is around a
>  particular persons 'version' as opposed to constantly seeking the
>  creation of something new or unique.

Some rabid followers  of Richie Hawtin that produce music already have
this in their heads...it's called their career?

>  In this context .. the tyranny of minimal is not so dangerous. Its
>  just the life of the music, growing, shifting and evolving.

    I guess you are right, however I don't see how going backwards
15-20 years and starting over without some kind of direction is
progress...what I mean by this is that many entering the
business/artform today are doing something they think is new, when
there is a precedent that they don't see or hear.  After 15 years of
being into this music, I know it's happened before.

    I keep saying there is no news under the sun.  Maybe all of this
will evolve into something...
--
fbk

sleepengineering/absoloop US