From: Arturo Lopez [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 12:38 PM
To: 313 Mailing List
Subject: Re: (313) Ellen Allien's New Mix: Opinions?

I think I'll give it another listen and see if I feel differently.
All that echo-y german at the beginning just sounded entirely too much
like one of Miss Kitten's solo albums I didn't like (I Com) and it
probably started me off on the wrong foot.

As this seems to have transformed into the bi-monthly minimal hate
fest I'll throw down as well.

This is just like everything else that gets popular, where you have a
few exceptional people that did great work and continue to do so, and
you've also got every hack producer jumping on that bandwagon putting
out terrible tracks (that sell quite nicely).  They'll move on to
something else when the spotlight moves on to something new, and
hopefully the people that did good work will continue to do so.   You
just have to dig deeper for the quality stuff, that's all.  This is
just like dubstep; for every "Burial"  you get 30 EP's of UK hardcore
massive garbage.

I guess what I particularly don't like about this minimal resurgence
is that it can just be so damn boring nowadays.  This seems to have
coincided with the explosion of laptop djs, which unless you are
throwing down like Stewart Walker or Isolee or something, are damn
boring to watch.  So you get the back of a mac laptop, a dj that hits
a few buttons and goes and eats a sandwich, and music that for the
most part sounds like a halfway finished track with just the drum loop
on repeat.  Take a look at anything Minus has put out over the last
few years and tell me with a straight face they aren't riding this
cash train straight to the bank and privately laughing at anyone
buying this garbage.
I rest my case:
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF284632-01-01-01.mp3

-Arturo