From: kent williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: list 313 <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2008 9:40:37 AM
Subject: Re: (313) Ellen Allien's New Mix: Opinions?

The one mix I have by Ellen Allien is Fabric 34 and I listen to it a
lot -- both straight through and when individual tracks come up on
shuffle.

I think it's high time that we stop using minimal as a dirty word.
Minimalism in its broadest sense has been a revolution in music, not
so much because it has been revolutionary in content, but because it
has demanded a new relationship between the music and the listener.
The best minimal techno is every bit as dramatic and emotional as any
other sort of dance music.  The worst is just boring.  Worse than
that, it's a sort of music that appeals and encourages an audience of
people completely off their faces on drugs.  Give me something with a
little soul and variety anyday!

It's also to separate the music from the scene, and to realize that
slagging on a music/scene when it blows up is as much a hipster
transgression as following that trend.  I was amused last summer
walking around Brooklyn 'hipster' neighborhood last summer; it seemed
like people who, in my shallow evaluation were, in fact, the dreaded
hipsters, were modulating their fashion sense and coiffure to avoid
the dreaded hipster signifiers.

Being hip is too exhausting for me.  You'll always be trying to stay
ahead of curve, and nothing but eternal vigilance will keep you from
staying with something formerly cutting edge, now declasse'.  It's
like surfing -- you want to be in the curl without the wave crashing
over you.  I'm content to like what I like and let someone else sort
it out.

But I digress.  Ellen Allien is usually pretty ace in my estimation.
If one of her mixes sounded a little flat at first, I'd give it a few
listens to sink in before dismissing it.