I've modified my metal boxes (after my M CD cracked in half) by sticking the plastic from a normal jewlcase inside.

After my M CD cracked, I wrote an email to Hardwax, that they should do something about the desing, and they sent me a new copy for free :)

Jernej
www.octex.si

theREALmxyzptlk wrote:
That could well be the case, but I burned cdrs from my copies right after I got them and played those, especially when traveling. When I heard people had cracked discs, I checked my own and three of them were cracked. None of them were even opened more than a few times. Chain Reaction figured it out and moved to the uglier 'soft covers' eventually. And I can't find a few of the CDs I have sitting in stacks of slimlines. The notion of a CD banging around on bare metal as packaging always seemed just this side of the legendary Durutti Column LP that used sandpaper for the jacket. Interesting aesthetically, but a tad shy on the function meter (unless you hate Vini Reilly)

                jeff

Not that it's either here nor there, but I don't think that at normal
temps, the difference between the expansion rate of stamp metal and
whatever plastic they make CDs from differs that much.

I think it's as much the fact that a plastic CD case's spindle-holder
is made of plastic that bows in when you push on the CD, then pops
back out so that a little lip on each tine of the spindle-thingie
keeps the CD in place. There is little or no outward force on the hole
in the CD.