Not that it's either here nor there, but I don't think that at normal
temps, the difference between the expansion rate of stamp metal and
whatever plastic they make CDs from differs that much.

I think it's as much the fact that a plastic CD case's spindle-holder
is made of plastic that bows in when you push on the CD, then pops
back out so that a little lip on each tine of the spindle-thingie
keeps the CD in place. There is little or no outward force on the hole
in the CD.

The stamp metal cases don't have any give -- the metal flange that the
hole in the CD fits over is a very tight fit, and the plastic of the
CD is under tension.  I suspect the CD gradually cracks over time to
reduce the pressure, or if you drop the case, forces in the plane of
the CD stress the CD until it cracks.

Sorry, it's Friday, and I worked for a mechanical engineering firm for
ten years, so I can blather on about mechanical design all day.
Complaining about the crappiness of CD cases was a popular work
time-waster.  Though one engineer had a good point -- when you drop a
CD case, the case often breaks but the CD does not.  The thin,
bendable parts of the CD case absorbs force and breaks rather than
transmitting the force to the CD.  It's the same reason the battery
and front bezel of a lot of cell phones pop off if you drop the phone
-- they channel a lot of the impact force into falling apart instead
of imparting all sorts of torsion and shear to the display and circuit
board inside.