Nice review, sounded like a wicked night.

Welcome back Jason!

robin...

On 28 Apr 2008, at 13:33, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Well, now that Tom has unsubbed and the list is going to be "quiet"
without him, I've decided to fill the gap temporarily with a quick
report of Model 500 who played live here in Glasgow for Rubadub's 16th
birthday party.

There was a fair amount of preparation needed for the gig so we were
all pretty hyped up about it- there were also folk buying tickets for
the show who hadn't been seen out for 10 years or more so the pressure
was on to make sure it was night worth venturing out for the "silver
surfers".

After an hour or so of warm up from the Rubadub DJ's it was all go- we
had to lock the doors at 1 AM leaving a queue half way down the street
for the unfortunates without tickets.  Juan, Mike, Skurge and Mark
Tayor took the stage and it all just exploded from there- Cosmic Cars,
The Chase, No UFOs, Clear, an extended jam on Game One, Alleys Of Your
Mind....ahh, it was all just too good. The beats are pre-recorded with
Skurge mixing them in but all the basslines and synth parts were
played by the guys live- Mike did the basslines, Mark Taylor did the
lead melodies and Juan awas doing all the vocoder vocals and
additional synth parts- it was loose enough that you knew it was live
but tight enough that you didn't loose any of the mechanical drive of
good Techno/Electro- even just teh odd unexpted extra bass not or solo
was enough to remind you that it was 4 guys and not 4 machines making
all the noise.

Best bits- Juan adlibbing the lyrics to Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me
Round (like A Record Baby)" over the top of Game One, the general
hug-fest that broke out at the front of the stage towards the end
where it seemed like half the crowd were all together in mass huddle
of warmth and general goodness, seeing Marco Bernardi's smile when
Marty dropped his remix on the new Iridite after Model 500 had
finished.......lot's of shining little moments mostly lost in the fog
now!

Then it was back to our Warehouse near Glasgow Airport for the After
Party - Skurge was on the decks straight away and tore it up for a
good couple of hours- in my opinion he's about the best of the UR DJs
because he plays the widest variety of music- the best of the UR back
cat AND a wicked variety of other stuff too.  Mike and the rest of the
guys were all there too, just hanging out and enjoying the vibes.  We
had a good couple of hundred people there and no bouncers needed at
all- good people, good music, great night.

Eventually the night had to end- think I staggered out at around
12-ish to the most brutal sunny day I remember in a long time- watched
the football (Rangers v Celtic!) at a friends house and collapsed
about 4ish into a 16 hour sleep.  Feeling pretty bad today but not as
bad as Wilba, Ruadub head honcho who had to get up on the Sunday
afternoon to take Mike and the guys up to Loch Lomond (he loves the
hills of Scotland does Mike!) and therefore didn't have the luxury of
the 16 hour sleep :)

It was just a total music-centred, feel good sort of night and really
helped me remember that there's more to Techno that arguing endlessley
about small details on internet forums :)

cheers

Jason