"kent williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 07/02/2008 09:17:26 AM:

> I think what drives these cycles at it's root is that people are like
> ducks -- they form their deepest emotional attachment to the music
> they hear when they're young.  This applies to people who actually
> make music every bit as much as it does to punters.  So when it comes
> their turn to provide the soundtrack for the zeitgeist, they turn
> naturally to the music of their youth.  They update it with influences
> of everything that has happened in the meantime, changes in music
> technology, etc. And this trolling through the wonder years is also
> reactionary -- they use elements of what they liked about music past
> to counter what they dislike about music present.

yep, that's partly what my own ungrounded theory includes
I just add the thing about people tending to revive the music they weren't
quite old enough to fully participate in
like 80s new wave synth/post-punk revival done by people who were just wee
tots in the early 80s - they heard the music, maybe second hand, via an
older friend or sibling
but they weren't old enough to be buying the records, going to the shows,
reading the rags, etc.

MEK