From: kent williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:38 PM
To: list 313
Subject: (313) Detroit & The Auto Industry

I got to talk briefly with Terrence Parker when he played here Halloween
night, and when I asked him about how things were in Detroit, he didn't
talk about music or musicians -- he talked about the problems with the
automotive industry.

Now without getting into an off topic discussion on the economy, how is
this going to affect the city?  At this point, I don't know how much
worse things could get, after all the body blows Detroit has
taken in the past 40 years.   But my love for the place makes me
wonder how the place can go on if American automakers significantly
downsize or outright fail.

As it relates to music, all but the most successful musicians in Detroit
have day jobs, and if the economy gets any worse, they're going to have
to leave to survive ...