it is not just the manufacturing jobs that are disappearing, it is all the jobs that we do not associate with the auto industry: accounting firms, advertising firms, legal firms, parts providers, restaurants built near offices etc...etc...etc...
almost everything in Detroit touches some aspect of the auto industry
while a good part of me says serves the auto industry right for lagging behind on technology and putting all resources into the now soured SUV and truck market the part of me that actually lives in Detroit wants them to get a bailout for the sake of this city as well as the connective web that the industry has across country. money though, will only stave off the inevitable without sweeping changes to both the big three as well as the UAW ( who certainly hold a good bit of the blame)

and to bring this back to a 313 discussion, with the soured economy as it is now, very few people actually go out to events to support new music. More people are choosing to stay at home. less people means less money for promoters and artists as well as clubs/venues

as someone who is recently unemployed, I can tell you that I am not going out unless I'm on the list or the event is free and even then drinks can get expensive.
I'd like to throw some regular parties, but the  numbers just aren't there
as an example,
I went to the Exchange Bureau record release party last week with John Arnold, Daz-I-Kue, Ibex, Paul Randolph, E Spleece, and more. there were maybe 150ppl there @ $5 a head = $750 (and I suspect that many of the people there got in for free) not nearly enough to pay for artists, sound, flights for out of towner's, venue cost etc...let alone make any money! John killed it by the way ( Daz-I-Kue watched every move John made then played a poorly mixed set himself)

just some thoughts from Detroit

David

As it relates to music, all but the most successful musicians in
Detroit have day jobs, and if the economy gets any worse, they're
going to have to leave to survive ...

I wouldn't say so, all the UK major cities have industries that have crashed and now disappeared. Sheffield, Bradford, Manchester and Birmingham all spring to mind. Good things come out of hard times...