As a suggestion...

a clearer error message might be in order...
something like:

Hey stupid!
you forgot to index your unique field(s) <field name(s)>.
Can not save the record until either there is an index, or the unique
property has been removed.

Alternatively (and maybe v15 does this) if the unique property is set,
an index is automatically added.

Chip
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:51:33 +0200, Timothy Penner wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> Starting with v13.5:
> You need to make sure that all unique fields have an index.
>
> Please see the big red note at the top of the bug fix list for v13.5:

ftp://ftp.4d.com/ACI_PRODUCT_REFERENCE_LIBRARY/Bug_Fix_Lists/Version_13/v13.5/Fixed_bugs_4D_v13.5.pdf