Based upon what you are stating, I would use arrays from external source, build
arrays from 4D and display

If you do it the other way display fields from 4D, you would keep shadow arrays
to fill variables with and yes because you have shadow arrays you can sort on
this columns. I do that now in a variety of places

I also do not know which approach (array based/ field based) or ALP would be
best for your scenario it depends upon many factors

Both will do the job for you. I use list boxes and ALP areas in dos, it just
depends upon client and need

Regards

Chuck
 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
          http://www.informed-solutions.com