On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Tony Ringsmuth <ton...@bbsp.com> wrote:

> I appreciate your feedback in this
> Thanks!
> Tony Ringsmuth

Tony,

I will try to list some arguments why I think 4D implemented preemptive
processes the way they did:
1. Existing code will not be usable in preemptive processes anyway,
developers will have to significantly change or - best - write the code
from scratch.
2. Allowing preemptive code to use interprocess variables with caveat that
they are not in fact interprocess would be confusing and misleading (and
lead to situation that code will behave differently in preemptive and
standard mode - see next point.)
3. Preemptive code will be very difficult to debug. If you run into
situation when code runs fine in standard but have problems in preemptive
mode, all you can do is track code progress with with some sort of logging
- writing code progress to log, console or data. That is not very
convenient, beside, if problem would related to timing issues, logging may
cause the code will start to work (or behave differently.)

So I understand 4D want to be cautious and prohibit any code that may cause
problems in preemptive processes.

--

Peter Bozek