my 2 cents....

If i am to understand correctly, Tony, you and I use IP variables in a
similar manner - we use them (primarily) as 'Konstants'.

I think a possible solution to at least this part of the IP issue is:
- some mechanism that allows us to either easily (as part of 4D not a
plugin/component) either create 'Konstants' (doesn't exist now), or a
means to flag IP vars as constants (basically write once, read many
values).  To my thinking this last part could be done via a pair of
database setting/preferences.
  set PreFix __  Post Fix __  :: string _______ for IP vars to be
considered as constants.
  set IP Constant Method name ___________  to run during startup

This would allow us to use a method (which may call many others) from
which IP constants are given a value. Allow us to flag both for 4D, and
for ourselves which IP vars are contents and should not be changed
(after initialization) during execution.  The pre fix/Postfix option is
to allow for personal preference in naming conventions (i.e. add the
var designator to the front or back of the name).