> ​What I'm seeing is these are techniques most applicable to really large
> data objects. I'm most frequently dealing with object arrays of less than
> 50 elements. For things this small I can rely on the straight forward 4D
> approach. But as I write that I can also see the benefits of a little more
> structure in constructing my objects - even if they aren't on a scale
where
> using Find in array vs. Find in sorted array will make a measurable
> difference.

In everyday use, I'd expect that the most common payoff isn't from using a
sorted/unsorted array as either will be fast. The big payoff is when you
can use a small data type array (longint for example) stored either inside
or outside of the larger object to avoid iterating over lots of big
objects. If the index array is outside of the object (at least as long as
you are inside 4D), you could have 1,000 elements in a tiny array, check it
quickly *before* you have to load the object, reconstitute the component
objects to get the one you need. That could be helpful in a pretty broad
range of situations that ordinary people run into. Problems at scale - like
500K items exist, but they're a lot less common. Still, good to know the
range of options.