On Apr 24, 2017, at 11:20 PM, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Updating indexes takes some time but being able to update only 3 - 4
> records per second has got to have some other cause. If you've had positive
> experience with that approach, perhaps I need to look for some
> other factor.

If you can easily modify the code, you could try commenting the SAVE RECORD
command(s), and replace any queries for an existing record with REDUCE
SELECTION($tablePtr->;0). That should be quick and easy and will show the speed
of the unpacking only.  Alternatively, you could test importing into an empty
database, which should remove the impact of queries and index updates.

If there are many method calls and much pointer dereferencing, 4D will be very
slow interpreted but much faster compiled.

Jim Crate