> I may have missed something while reviewing this thread (there was a lot
of text)
My fault. Mea culpa.

> but I am very curious about the following:

> Just to get back to the original report, I'm talking about a *bug* in the
*current version* that makes these features *unreliable* for use in the
very situation they were supposedly designed for.

> Did you file a bug report?  If not, please do so that our engineers can
be made aware promptly of the flaws
> you have uncovered!

Nope. I didn't file a bug report. It's not easy to do down here, and it's
impossible to see your own bug reports in the southern hemisphere. I did go
through the effort (sample database, etc.) some months back on a more
serious bug and it's received no attention. The 4D bug reporting system is
so unrewarding it actively discourages submitting reports. Also, it's just
plain hard to do.  I've found stacks of 4D bugs lately but they don't get
reported to 4D. I find a work-around, give up, use another tool, etc. I
move on. I do report things here and/or on the forums to help out other
developers via the archives. I've been noisy lately, but that will stop
again later this month and none of my reports are likely to make it out
publicly in any form. There's just no motivation to do it. Unless there's
feedback and bug fixes, why would I take the time? (Trust me, I talk to a
lot of serious 4D programmers regularly and this is a pretty widespread
attitude.)

None of this is on you Tim! And I'm aware that I'm being a pain. I mean no
offense. You're contributions here, for example, are noted and definitely
*most* appreciated. But if 4D really wants bug reports, they need to:

* Make them easy to submit.
* Make them easy to monitor.
* Provide confirmation and feedback!
* Fix bugs quickly.
* Reject bugs quickly if they aren't bugs. (Quality bug reporting works
both ways, I get that.)

I may be missing something (or a lot) and I know things are different on my
side of the equator. If I'm hopelessly wrong here, I'll take my spanking
and follow the instructions I've missed to date. So, please, you're welcome
to update me and anyone following along at home, that's something you've
proven really great at in the past. If 4D doesn't have proper tools like
this now then I'd say the LAST think they should do is write some. There
are just so many great tools out there now it would be a huge waste of time
(on the calendar) and resources to write a custom one. Perhaps some of the
offerings from Australia's own Atlassian?