John:

Been there (many years ago) in the days of interpretive Basic. Had one client
who loved to tinker. Since he owned the place, we had no choice but to allow
it. But then he would go away for a couple of weeks, and they would call me
when something did’t work. Open the code, and you could see his ‘finger prints’
all over the code (yep, we all have styles).

Love the compiler.

I do understand your problem.

> On May 17, 2017, at 8:27 AM, truegold via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I think you meant me not Jeremy.
>
> This database - and how this admin user has managed things - goes back to
> 1993 or so. The user has been able to get into “user mode”, now called
> “design mode”, reliably up until 4D 2012.
>
> Rather than having code for everything minor change this user still prefers a
> quick and dirty sprint into “design mode”. Dangerous? Yep! explained? Yep!
> User wants to change? Nope!
>
> That’s what I meant. But the only person who is supposed to be able to get
> into “design mode” is admin.
>
> Hopefully that explains my ordeal.
>
> Appreciate,
> John...
>
>> Jeremy:
>>
>> 'Quick Edits' of what?
>>
>> My databases are all compiled. The Designer can do anything, including
>> exiting the splash screen, and then to user mode. Anyone else can have
>> certain privileges     (or most all), but they can not exit the splash
>> screen.
>>
>> Easy to do.
>>
>>> On May 16, 2017, at 2:32 PM, truegold via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jeremy,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> I need to make sure that if they log in as admin then this restriction is
>>> not there. I have tried for years to dissuade the “power” user from going
>>> into “design mode” but she uses it for quick edits (as unreliable as it has
>>> seemingly become). Anyway...
>>>
>>> So I need to make sure only users that are part of the “keep out” group are
>>> kept out.
>>>
>>> Will this approach work?
>>>
>>> Appreciate,
>>> John...