Hey John, we ended up testing different things, I didn't ever get too far
into the memory side. (Thanks for that, good to know.) I retested again
last night and I can kill 4D from entirely legal code. I'll show you at
dinner, if you like. There is a *concurrency bug*.

I'm not convinced that everyone at 4D fully grasps the nature of a
concurrency bug and they're definitely not grasping their importance. It's
an existential bug. What's going on should be *impossible*. I don't mean
rare (it is rare, but not that rare.) There's a _reason_ I've reported this
bug and have been going on about it. When do I normally do that? I don't.
And it is extremely unlikely that I ever will again. There's a margin in
doing so, but it's pretty much all negative margin ;-)

They should email Laurent E., he understands concurrency perfectly and
should appreciate the situation. Plus, I think this feature set comes from
him. It's possible Engineering will discover that it's a highly specific
and localized bug, not a more generalized bug - let's hope so. But there is
*no* way for us to know that on the outside. I could keep probing to get a
better sense of the shape of the bug, but that's a massive misuse of my
time. I've got real work to do. So, no logging to files via a worker in 4D
for me :( I think that I can still use normal processes to do a
record-based passthrough, but that's a very different performance
proposition entirely. (There's no way that I can use that approach for the
Web logs, I've killed 4D before that way...not doing it again.)