> I understand your thinking that 4D may not the way to go for event
logging,
> but your concern about CLOSE DOCUMENT is where we do not agree. I'am sure
you
> have seen CLOSE DOCUMENT fail, but I suspect that what you are seeing is
not
> an issue with CLOSE DOCUMENT, but something else not readily apparent. I
think
> you said at some point that 4D has recognized this as a bug, but I still
> question whether in fact it is.

Yes, you're absolutely right on this point. I don't know what the bug is.
It *manifests* as an impossible file lock error, but I think it's very,
very likely that this is a symptom of something else. Either way, it's a
show-stopper for me and I can't fix it.

> Perhaps you can show me in the sample database how to make CLOSE DOCUMENT
fail
> or have another database that demonstrates the problem?

That one already shows the problem. I've reproduced it, as has 4D and a
couple of other people. Once it happens, you get all kinds of weird stuff -
duplicate workers with "unique" names, the runtime monitor gets super buggy
and starts throwing range errors...until you're dead. If you *don't* find
this result on your gear, please post what version of 4D you're testing
with.

>> When I saw your initial post in this regard, I jumped in because I do a
lot of
> work that involves the opening and closing of documents. If a problem
exists I
> really need to know about it. Thus far my testing based on your posts has
not
> demonstrated anything that has caused me to doubt that CLOSE DOCUMENT
will in
> fact close a file.

Just try out a compiled version of the original database I sent without any
of your modifications and let it run for a couple of minutes.

Oh, I forgot to say earlier about John's finding of ~2.1M messages being a
kind of breaking point...that number may not be replicable in other tests.
You might find a different number. The payloads in my scratch database are
quite small. For all I know, if you made the payloads 10x bigger, you would
crash with ~210K messages. I won't be testing this myself.