Most barcode readers also let you add a character to the start and end of a
barcode. If you need more control than just entering the data into the current
field, you can trap for these characters to position the cursor into the field
that needs to accept the scan.

For example, the character STX maps to Cmd+B. Set your barcode reader's start
character to be an STX, and the end character to be a tab.  Put an invisible
button on your form with a keyboard shortcut of Cmd+B. When the user scans a
code of, say, "123", the stream of characters will be <STX> 1 2 3 <TAB>. The
<STX> will trigger the button where you could call GOTO OBJECT to position the
cursor, the 1 2 3 will be "typed" into the field, and then the <TAB> will move
the cursor to the next field.

You can also use ON EVENT CALL for even more precise programmatic control.