On Jun 5, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Jörg Knebel wrote:

> G’day All,
>
> How do you retrieve data from a v17 data file when the structure is unknown?
>
> I tried to open it with some kind of generic structure (lots of tables with
> 250 text-fields) each, like in the old days, but 4Dv17 "finds out" that there
> is a mismatch. :-(

That stopped working with v11. 4D has made it required to have a structure file
that matches the data file to be able to access tables and the data in those
tables. So you are going to have to find a structure file for this data file.
They have a built in “WEDD” resource — to use terminology form the “old days” —
in the data file and structure file that must match.

Chuck mentioned trying to open the data file on 4D Server and use SQL, but you
would still need a structure file that matches the data file in order to open
it with 4D Server. So if you don’t have any structure file at all, you are
stuck.

If you don’t have a structure file, you ain’t getting access to the data in the
data file without a crazy, ridiculous amount of work and effort. No easy way to
do it.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions