On Jun 6, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Jörg Knebel wrote:

> Has someone tried to find that “WEDD” resource in the structure and the data
> file and has manipulate it already?
>
> I just want to prevent me going into “crazy, ridiculous amount of work and
> effort” to get it done.

The “WEDD” is a UUID. If you had a structure file you could do an “Export ->
Structure definition to XML” and it would provide you the UUID. But since you
don’t have a structure file you have no idea what to look for in the data file.
Plus, I would expect 4D is not storing the raw UUID in the data file, it is
most likely obfuscated in some way so that you can’t just scan for the UUID
value.

But the WEDD is only the first part of marrying a data file and structure file.
Each table also has a UUID assigned to it, and that info is recorded in both
the data file and structure file and they have to match. That is the purpose of
the “.match” file that is created next to the data file when you open a
database with a matching structure and data file. If a data file has major
damage, you can still run MSC and recover some of the damage if you have  the
".match” file. And the .match file can only be generated by 4D when it opens a
married data file and structure file.

The “.match” file UUIDs listed do not exactly match the table UUIDs that you
get from the "Export -> Structure definition to XML” file. There is again some
obfuscation that hides the true values. But with the structure file and the
.match file, MSC can make the translation/connection to be able to recover data
from the damaged data file. So you would need to figure out this translation
mechanism also.

4D thought through all of this with the v11 data file format. They wanted to
make it super hard to do exactly what you are trying to do — take a data file
that you have no structure file for and then reverse engineer out the structure
so that you can extract the data.

Good luck!

Tim

Tim Nevels