Sharing data between QB's desktop and 4D is something we have been doing
for about 10 years.  And something we have looked at alternative and better
solutions for.

I'd assume like many companies, we try to use 4D for everything to run our
business (our entire CRM / ERP / TIME CLOCK system) except accounting, and
we use QB's for that.

CURRENT STATE:
For the data we move out of QB's into 4D, we have created custom reports in
QB's that include the data we want to export.  We run this report and save
the results as a .csv file into a shared folder with our 4D Server.  A 4D
Server routine checks this folder ever couple minutes and if it finds a
file, an import routine runs to pull the data into 4D and then archives the
.csv.  As for the data shared key, we use a custom fields available in
Quickbooks to manually added the 4D ID to the QB's custom field.  This
custom field data is part of the custom export report.  We only add a new
customer to Quickbooks a couple of times a month, so this is not too
onerous to manually keep up to date.

For data coming from 4D into QB's, we have a custom report that runs in 4D
and outputs a file into a shared folder.  We use a 3rd party software
(certified by QB's) called Transaction Pro (https://www.transactionpro.com/)
that we have configured to import this data into QB's.  This is done in one
or two batches per day.

FUTURE STATE:
We currently have a project underway to use QODBC (https://qodbc.com/), to
have the data exchange happening automatically using SQL over ODBC directly
between QBs and our 4D server.  This is no faint of heart project!  QB's
tables are complex and there are lots of rules that need to be adhered to.
The help files and examples from QODBC are plentiful and helpful. We are
hopefully a couple of weeks away from completion.  Please contact me if you
would like me to share more on how this has progressed.

I'd welcome learning how others are addressing this.  Thanks,

David Loeppky
Chuckanut Bay Foods
dav...@chuckanutbay.com

--