> On 11 Apr 2020, at 12:24 AEST, John J Foster via 4D_Tech
> <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>
> Couldn’t find anything in KB.

Here is the post from 155 month and 19 days ago mentioned in the other post:

<REPOST>

But someone might think the following could be of some help, sorry
its not 4D-code.

First, the orientation - <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Cardinal_direction>

N (North) - E (East) - S (South) - W (West)
N=0° - E=90° - S=180° - W=270°

All computers and programming languages I know are handling angles
the 'Mathematic Way' witch makes sense!

Every trigonometric function can be described/build by more simpler
trigonometric functions.

For trigonometric functions look here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Trigonometric_function>

It is possible to calculate bearing and direction from 'A' to 'B' and
find 'B' if bearing and distance is known.

The following is my own translation of my own posting placed in a
German GPS news-group a long time ago.

***************
Definitions
nm = Nautical Mile = 1852 m

alpha   = Bearing
d       = distance in [nm] !!!!
b       = latitude difference between ‘A’ and ‘B’
l       = longitude difference between ‘A’ and ‘B’
a       = Abweitung <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abweitung>
                just in case someone wants a desicription - no English version
sorry
Ba      = latitude of Position ‘A’
La      = longitude of Position ‘A’
Bb      = latitude of Position ‘B’
Lb      = longitude of Position ‘B’
Bm      = Mittelbreite - middle latitude??? anyone??? Krauts! ;-)

<the holy grail of navigation> ;-)
b =Bb-Ba
l =Lb-La

Bm=(Ba+Bb)/2   OR   Ba + b/2

l=a*sec(Bm)  (sec = 1/cos)
a=l*cos(Bm)

a=d*sin(alpha)
b=d*cos(alpha)
d=b*sec(alpha)

For Longitude 85°<alpha<90° more accurate distance with --> d=a*cosec
(alpha)  `(cosec = 1/sin)

tan(alpha)=a/b
</ the holy grail of navigation>

</REPOST>