quite simple actually, just get a pointer to the actual form element
in the object method just call:

OBJECT GET POINTER (object current)

you can even go one further und just put all that into the form method:

If (Form event code=On Data Change)
        $p_entry:=OBJECT Get pointer(Object with focus)
        If ((Type($p_entry)=Is text) | (Type($p_entry)=Is alpha field))
                $p_entry->:=Trim($p_entry->)
        End if
End if

careful here, you will need to switch to OBJECT GET POINTER(Object with focus)
as you are not in the objects method anymore...

HTH
Alex