Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> <snip>
>>>>
>>> indeed.
>>>
> Really?  I have I used this ability under Linux for the better part of a
> decade.
>> :(

still, setting it up properly is not trivial.

> It has worked on pretty much every machine I have ever owned.  For USB
> connected devices I have used sdparm.  The syntax is different so you
> will need to RTFM.
>
>>> It's not only hdparam but also the 'noatime' mount option,
>>> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs (or /etc/sysctl.conf) and ext3's
>>> journal_data_writeback option (`man tune2fs`).
>>> ..and beware: in case of power-loss it can be dangerous to have fiddled
>>> with those!!!
>
> noatime is not dangerous,
right, sorry. I should have said the latter two are dangerous.

> but does not really gain anything either since
> it happens when you are accessing a disk.

..or when re-accessing some file that is already in the disk-cache.
It probably does not have any impact on audio workstations, but it does
matter when listening to mp3s on the road for example. It spins up the
disk again.

>  Messing with journal options
> is probably not the best idea, especially on a DAW where data integrity
> would presumably be important.

;-)