rosea grammostola wrote:
> A multimedia distro should be easily installed next to another
> distribution. With that in mind I think it's wise to choose for ext4 and
> grub2, cause other distro's switch to that also. Of course if there is
> no strong argument against them.

The funny thing is that GRUB and ext4 together aren't fine without
patches for GRUB. People using multi-boots and with the freedom to use
GRUB of any install, should not use ext4. To keep a multi-boot
compatible, we should use an old fashioned GRUB and no ext4. I do agree
that there is the need to be able to use latest kernel versions and
latest multimedia software, but that does not mean, that we should
become version junkies for any software. Btw. on my machine latest Suse
11.2 RC isn't able to boot it's own kernel-rt, I only can boot a so
called kernel-desktop. Compiling my own kernel for Suse didn't work,
while I don't have any trouble to do it for 64 Studio. For Suse 11.2 CPU
frequency scaling is a default but until now neither anybody from the
web nor I were able to control the CPU frequency scaling, because
there's a new philosophy, that only the kernel should be allowed to
control it. Note that non-multimedia distros don't take care about
real-time audio, even the kernel coders aren't interested in doing it,
thus latest versions of distros like Suse and Ubuntu are not in general
good, because of some advantages. I don't know latest Ubuntu version,
but I know latest Suse version and I enjoy some of it's capabilities I'm
missing for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3, anyhow for important multimedia usage
it comes with more pain than with advantages.

My question still is: Is ext4 proved for hard disk recording on many
hardware combinations? What problems do people have when using GRUB
instead of GRUB2? I don't have any trouble because of GRUB and my
machine really is a multi-boot.

I would like to have a 64 Studio 4 too, because of some dependencies, to
enable latest multimedia software. But I guess ext4 shouldn't become the
default file system, until it isn't proved for hard disk recording,
until it's common to have a GRUB that is unable to boot kernels on ext4
without patches, when using GRUB of another install of a multi-boot.

People that don't use a multi-boot, don't need to use a boot loader.
Using always latest versions of some stuff has got more disadvantages
than advantages, especially for compatibility. At the moment we still
are in an era of ATA and SATA devices + 32-bit vs 64-bit machines and
the web is overrun with superblock errors, not working 32-bit apps etc.
just because of less proved new "ideas". Since years X isn't able to set
the frequencies for my monitor. Some days ago I did a "remoulding" for
my monitor, it's fine, but this also is an issue because of unproved
changes for Linux. Even on this list from time to time are mails "with
version 1 of Blahblah I could chose any resolution for my monitor, but
now with version 2 of Blahblah I'm forced to use ...".

New kernels YES
New libs to compile multimedia apps YES
New multimedia apps YES
Not proved  file systems, modules for handling hard disks, versions of X
etc. :( PLEASE NOT THAT AGAIN AND AGAIN

:)
Ralf