Hi Dave, it's been quite a while since I posted on this list.

On 10/11/2011 06:52 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 06:46 AM, paul.beaud...@hsbc.com wrote:
>> ... I need an upgrade (or something)
>> to stop my machine from hanging regularly. Getting a bit stuck now... any
>> friendly advice?
>>

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/arch-tale
Bookmarked. Check.

Actually, Dave, our hardware seems to be fairly similar - Like you I
have a machine based on the Antec case, - single core AMD,, 3 gigs, a
Delta  10/ /10 (which in retrospect was an over kill), and the
Studio-64 distro.

I would have to say that even though antiquated, it served (or may still
serve?) its purpose as a music synthesiser. I carried the that antec
case and in general (hooked up to a keyboard controller of course), it
served me well. The downside is that the 10/10 is powered by a freaking
wall-wart, and the connection to the PCI card is flakey as well. I guess
that's why it  was marketed as a studio device and
not something you take out to play an outdoor concert with.

I do know that with 64, I found that I always needed a new bug fix,
or wanted to add a new feature, or a synth that wasn't packaged up,
I ended up doing a lot of compiling, so that
  my machine ended up being a mismatch of custom-compiled packages and
debian. Actually not too big
a problem, because once I realised that upgraging apps just meant I sort
of said to hell with the packaging system, and just simply compiled
newer versions of what I needed, and also built programs
that were'nt even supplied as packages.

I _would_ like to install something on my HDMI laptop,
however, and I currently haven't found yet any answers.
Basically  I think it would be be cool to run one of the multimedia
variants of Csound, but have it work either on Win 7, or some distro of
Linux.

I just want to take advantage of HDMI...

Larry