erik quanstrom escribió:
it would be useful if you could send the output of lspci to me offline.
there are many models of ich9.  not all of them have the same properties.

i do have an ich9r controller:

0.31.2: 01.06.01 8086/2922  10 0:00001c51 16 1:00001c45 16 2:00001c49 16
3:00001c41 16 4:000018e1 32 5:d8d01000 2048

which works with some cavets.  hot plugging does not work and if
ports are skipped, drives after the skip are not accessable.

lspci -nnv on Linux.

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2922] (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
   Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:b005]
   Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 506
   I/O ports at e600 [size=8]
   I/O ports at e700 [size=4]
   I/O ports at e800 [size=8]
   I/O ports at e900 [size=4]
   I/O ports at ea00 [size=32]
   Memory at fa106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/4 Enable+
   Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
   Capabilities: [b0] PCIe advanced features <?>
   Kernel driver in use: ahci
Following advice from people in #plan9 I disabled AHCI mode and went for legacy mode: - Install CD booted fine. I could even partition the hard disk. But it can't copy files as it begins throwing lots of I/O errrors while copying files. I tried with DMA enabled and disabled.

it sounds like you have either a bad drive or a cable problem.  i
would replace the sata cable first.  it is also possible that you are
having a problem with power management.  but i don't know how to tell
if you're using the ide interface.
I have Windows XP and Linux on this same disk. It can't be a cable problem. I doubt it is a disk problem either because I/O errors during file copy seem to be on random disk bloks. Sometimes it copies files until 2%, others it gets to 13% (I reformat fossil partition every time I try reinstalling Plan 9)...
I switched back to AHCI mode and tried booting the floppy again. Now it shows fd0 and sdE0!9fat as boot devices (9fat partiton is empty, so I can't boot). It seems in AHCI mode it can access hard disk just fine, but it can't access the DVD drive.

Both hard disk and DVD drive are connected via SATA to the ICH9 controller.

make sure they are connected to ports 0 and 1 of the controller. (either order.)
AHCI BIOS detects hard disk on port 0 and DVD recorder on port 1. And it is consistent with 9load messages regarding drive reset. Should I be able to access DVD drive on sdF0?
- erik
Thanks.