I do this:

        fn build {
                8c $1^.c && 8l -o $1 $1^.8 && rm $1^.8
        }
        acmef sieve.c # acmef opens acme with fixed-width font in one column
        build sieve
        sieve 2053

when I need to build a one-file program.

That's another good argument against Plan 9 that Unix users can make: why do I have to run two programs to compile a C source code file when Unix needed only one? I've grown used to it - build and mk help.