> The "let's submit a patch and fix it" talk is scary.

i haven't seen any such talk; and in any event,
how can patches be scary?

> All the pie-in-the-sky "gee it would be nice if it worked
> like this, not that I'm actually using it" talk is unproductive.

if it helps understand what's there, why it's there and
what the real problems might be, i think there is value in
it.

perhaps i'm just not as smart as the rest of you, but
full programs do not leap out of my head.  they are
preceeded by false starts, bad ideas and other people's
ideas.

it has take nearly forty years to get to this point.
i'm sure that even at the labs, some pie-in-the-sky
ideas have contributed to what plan 9 is now.